Sunday, September 6, 2009

karianne's grain free bread

I've been hanging on to this recipe for a while, and I've been looking forward to sharing it with you!

Months ago, on the Pecanbread mailing list, member Karianne (who has Asperger's) posted a recipe for a loaf of specific carbohydrate diet bread.

It was so simple it was hard to believe.

Many of us scrambled to try this bread. We had to do some recipe conversion, since Karianne lives in Europe, but we managed!

This bread is moist, delicious, holds its shape well, and can be toasted.

And it's made from almond butter! No flour required.

Karianne made hers with cinnamon. I left it out and made a few more tweaks to be more like a sandwich bread, but I'm still going to call it hers. Thank you, Karianne, for your amazing recipe!

KARIANNE'S BREAD

1 16 oz jar of almond butter
1/2 c cooked butternut squash
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp baking soda
5 eggs
1/4 tsp salt (if almond butter is unsalted)

Beat ingredients in a bowl until well combined. Pour into a parchment paper-lined loaf pan (or well greased loaf pan). Bake at 325-350 degrees for one hour.

The bread will be firm to the touch and a knife will come out clean when it's done.

Storage: Allow bread to cool completely (this is important). Place loaf in a large ziploc bag on top of a folded paper towel. Squeeze air out and store in refrigerator.


Here's what it looks like coming out. Believe me when I say it's very solid. It will not fall apart!



And here's my little guy enjoying it!



Now go make some bread! The recipe is very forgiving, so try some different ingredients out with it. It's awesome!

15 comments:

Mrs. Ed said...

Thanks. I'm always interested in a new bread recipe AND ways to sneak more veggies into our diet.

Unknown said...

Hi Mrs. Ed,

Thanks for stopping by!

I am very glad that my son and I are advanced enough to enjoy many raw veggies (mainly low carb varieties). Although I am going to cook some spinach into some meatloaves today as well.

I hope you like the bread!

Susan

Anonymous said...

I made this bread today and I agree it's great!! I changed it a little by using the fresh ground oil-roasted almond butter at Whole Foods (instead of the dry-roasted 365 brand).

Thank you for passing on this recipe, with your own successful tweaks!

Cathy
Arlington, MA

Unknown said...

Hi Cathy!

Yay! I'm glad it worked for you. I've been using the Trader Joe's jarred almond butter for the bread. I made it today and I used five eggs instead of six, since that was all I had. It worked just fine.

I can't wait to adapt this into some kind of cake for my son's birthday! I'm thinking carrot, maybe, or a pumpkin bread... hmm. :)

Susan :)

michk88 said...

Looks delicious! Can't wait to try this but with pumpkin instead!

Unknown said...

Pumpkin is a great idea! I want to remind my SCDers that pumpkin is only legal if you make it yourself.

You can try to get a letter from the manufacturer about canned plain pumpkin if you want. I was unsuccessful with Libby's. They would not confirm in writing that their 100 percent canned pumpkin was actually only pumpkin! Can you believe that?

michk88 said...

Haha Wow! Yea I stopped having the canned pumpkin because canned foods aren't really SCD legal and may contain ingredients not listed on the label. Thanks for looking into that! Their website looks so tempting though! http://www.verybestbaking.com/products/libbys/pumpkin.aspx

Unknown said...

Ugh, don't send me there! I'll just get mad all over again! LOL.

I keep meaning to write the company that does the organic canned pumpkin from whole foods. Maybe this year I'll do it!

Not that I mind making my own pumpkin. MMMMM!

michk88 said...

I finally baked the bread and it was delicious! I'm going to add a post about and link it back to your page! thanks :)

Candice C said...

Thank you so much for this receipe! I made it this morning with pumpkin and 1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice. It's the perfect fall bread!

Unknown said...

Hi Candice,

So glad you enjoyed it. I've been tinkering with a spice cake version myself!

Susan

Fraze Family said...

Has anyone subbed the eggs successfully? I really want to try this but I have to sub the eggs with gelatin (can't do flax seed) & don't want to waste ingredients if it won't turn out.

Unknown said...

Hmm, with gelatin? An interesting challenge. I'll have to think about that...

Anonymous said...

Is the almond butter roasted or raw? Trader Joes' makes both. It would seem that raw is better since it is going to be cooked.

Unknown said...

Hi Anonymous,

Strangely enough, my son cannot tolerate raw almond butter -- even though it gets cooked in the oven.

But for this recipe, you may use either you prefer.