Saturday, January 5, 2008

STAGE ONE: Recipes

I will edit this as I go, and link to it in the sidebar. OK? OK.

The Pecanbread Food Stages Chart! if you're interested.

NOTE: HOW TO COOK VEGGIES

Veggies should be very soft. Yes, some people do cook carrots for four hours. In my experience, that hasn't been necessary. I boil large quantities of baby carrots usually for an hour, 90 minutes tops. I check them with a butter knife. If I can easily slice one with a butter knife while it's floating in the boiling water, they're done.

*********

CHICKEN SOUP (mostly from BTVC, EGG FREE)

Chicken legs and thighs, about 4 pounds or so
Ten peeled carrots or 1-2 pounds of baby carrots
1-2 onions
5-6 garlic cloves
4-5 stalks of celery

Get a big pot and fill it halfway with the chicken parts. Add peeled or baby carrots, chopped onion, garlic cloves, and celery. Fill pot with water until it almost covers the contents of the pot, but not quite as more water will cook out at the start.

Put a lid on it and simmer for 4 hours. You'll need to check it and add more water as it cooks. Take the meat off the bones, and throw away the onions, garlic, and celery on stage one because you can't eat it. On stage two you can leave the garlic in but you still have to throw away the other stuff.

After making the soup in this way, I added a teaspoon of sea salt and a teaspoon of sage. Next time I'll try adding the sage ahead of time, but spices sort of vanish when you cook something for four hours, so I'm not sure if it will make a difference. I ended up with a lot more chicken than necessary, so I separated out some of it to use for chicken salad later in the week.

************

SAFE MAYONNAISE WITH PASTEURIZED EGG WHITES

1/4 cup egg white (egg white ONLY in the carton)
1/2 tsp ground mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp vinegar
3/4 cup oil (approximate)
ear plugs (you can thank me later)

Dump the egg white, ground mustard, salt, and vinegar into your blender. Put your ear plugs on. Turn the blender on to HIGH and start adding the oil slowly. How slowly? Add it at a speed where you think you will possibly never ever be done with the mayo.

Keep adding it slowly, until the mixture starts to emulsify. If you look inside, at the beginning you will be able to see right to the bottom of the blender. Staring at the blade is kind of scary, so look away now and then.

You'll notice a difference in the sound as the mayo starts to glop together. Keep adding the oil slowly until it has glopped together to the point where you can't see the blade anymore - or if you can, it's intermittent.

Then stop the blender and you will have mayo! Safe mayo! Germ free mayo!

I have successfully doubled this recipe in the blender, and now that's the only way I'll make it.

Keeps for a week in the fridge, as long as you always dip into it with clean utensils. Safety first!
**************

CARROT PANCAKES

1 1/2 cups well cooked baby carrots (water squeezed out, seriously)
4 eggs
1 tsp SCD legal vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon (you should test this as a food)
4 tsp honey (optional)
1/4 tsp sea salt

Mash up the carrots with the other ingredients until it's as smooth as you'd like, or you can puree it. Fry in a skillet with a small amount of oil.

Makes about 9 pancakes.

****************

VEGGIE MUFFINS

2 cups pureed fruit or veggies (water squeezed out, seriously)
4 eggs
4 tsp oil (coconut was recommended; I used olive)
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
4 tsp honey (optional)
1/4 tsp sea salt

Mix together. Put in muffin tins with liners.

Bake at 400 for about 30 minutes. Makes 12.

******************

BANANA PANCAKES (multiple sources)

1 very ripe banana
1 egg

Mix, fry, eat.

******************

SALMON PATTIES

2 cans wild salmon, drained
5 eggs
1 tbsp lemon juice or vinegar

Mix, fry. It's not the best recipe, but it's OK when you have nothing else on hand. :)

************

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for breaking down the recipes to stages....BUT how about those of us who can't do eggs? I would really like to see some eggless stage one recipes. If we could only do eggs, it would be SO much easier! (Though I don't know if I could afford the dozens and dozens of organic eggs every week!). Thanks again, Diane

Unknown said...

Hi Diane!

I actually had to stop buying organic eggs because I couldn't afford it. But I am tired of using five dozen eggs a week so I think I will try a few eggless recipes. Thanks for the idea. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan -- These recipe pages are so helpful... I was interested in how long you cook your mayo base until it comes together and is not like a liquid? I actually have success heating it for a few minutes and when it is still very liquid, cooling it, adding it to the food processor and then slowly adding the oil. I still end up with thick mayo. Maybe it would be even better your way so I am curious as to how long it takes (not like I don't live in the kitchen now anyway!!!)

Unknown said...

Kim,

The reason I cook it by stirring and stirring is because then it stays bubbling longer, so I imagine it would kill the bad bacteria. So my reasoning is -- I'm paranoid! LOL! It does look a bit thick when I throw it in the blender.

My mayo doesn't come out well most of the time. So I should cool it? I don't usually cool it. Maybe that is my problem. I use a blender and I screw it up way more often than I'd like. Sigh. People tell me I really need a food processor. I think they are right!

Anonymous said...

Susan, the one time I did not cool it was a disaster -- it only needs to cool 4 or 5 minutes. Not sure if that is the "trick" but it correlated to my bad batch. It does work in the blender but the food processor is much more reliable for it for some reason.

Unknown said...

Kim,

Thanks for the tip. I edited the recipe on my blog to reflect that. Now I just gotta get me a food processor. LOL!

Kat said...

Hi,
Just wondering if you liked the 'veggie muffins' and if so, which fruit or veggies did you find worked best?
Thanks,
Kat

Unknown said...

Kat,

I confess -- I am not a fan of the muffins. My son liked them, and I made them with carrots, but they were impossible to get out of the little muffin papers. I tried foil liners and it made no difference.

I think that it would work better with drier ingredients, though. Probably squash would work well.

Susan :)

Kat said...

Well I went ahead and tried the veggie muffins anyway. Someone posted on the Pecanbread group about adding baking soda so I did that too and used coconut oil. I used avocado and carrots. They turned out moist yes, but didn't stick to the muffins liners too much. But, to me they just tasted like an omelet in the form of a muffin. I think I'll stick to the omelets :)

If you are still making them for your son you might want to try coconut oil and baking soda.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I've been looking for this for weeks...Ok, since Saturday when I actually realized that I was supposed to be taking this diet in stages. Almond flour muffins are way good, but not so good for my healing colon. Thanks for the recipes. This will make my life much easier!
Rose

Mom23wFA said...

HI,
What vegetables did you use for the egg bread?

Unknown said...

I have used well cooked green beans and well cooked carrots. I know some people have used ripe avocado which you wouldn't need to cook.

Mom23wFA said...

HI,
I actually split the recipe in half to deal with some allergies..
did 2 eggs and a cup of well cooked carrots strained through a fine mesh to drain out the excess water for 6 muffins,
and then a package of frozen spinach well cooked and well drained as well for the other six muffins. I used a non stick muffin pan, spritzed it lightly with olive oil from a mister, and baked as directed.
I let them cool in the pan for a few minutes and they popped right out with the help of a plastic knife run around the edges. I didn't use muffin liners, just put the mixture directly into the nonstick muffin pans. They came out really well, the kids love them. You can skip the honey and make little mini quiches really. I used a pp's suggestion and added a bit of baking soda-1/2 tsp per batch.

doughnut1 said...

Hi, it's Brenda from the Pecanbread list. Thanks so much for the carrot pancakes! My daughter likes them thin and crispy like crepes. So should I not squeeze the carrots?

Unknown said...

Hi Brenda,

Yes, I think you should still squeeze the water out. They'll hold together better.

Susan :)

Ellen said...

Hi,

I just found your website! I have been eating a lot of boring foods my first month on SCD (day 25 now woo!) and found your recipes a great way to spice things up a little. I want to make the hamburger salad recipe and was wondering are these just hamburgers...when does this become a salad? Where does the SCD mayo come in? And can I do this with ground turkey instead?

Thanks!

Unknown said...

Hi Ellen,

Sorry, I didn't realize that section was a little incomplete. I've been trying to revamp my recipe organization.

You finish cooking the burgers, throw out the onion and garlic, and mix with the SCD legal mayo. I have a newer mayo recipe on the site with egg whites.

Look for the label "mayo" in the right sidebar on the blog main page, or search the blog for mayo. You will get the Safe Mayo recipe.

Hope that helps and thanks for stopping by!

Susan

Ellen said...

Hi, I've got another question :)

For the egg bread, what kind of vegetables have you used that taste good?

I can eat carrots, summer squash, winter squash, and asparagus so far. Oh and tomatoes and avocados, but they're not technically a vegetable. What do you think the best combo would be? Thanks!

Ellen

Unknown said...

Hi Ellen,

I'd go with the carrots. If by summer squash you mean zucchini, you can't use it in the bread. It's too wet. :)

Asparagus would also not be a good choice, both for flavor and texture reasons.

Susan

Carrie said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! I've been searching everywhere for a simple list of recipes that I could eat to start with SCD until I feel comfortable creating them myself. This is the most condensed and helpful list I've found. Thank you so much! I can't wait to try these! A new SCD'er... but gluten free for over 4 years due to celiac.

Unknown said...

Hi Carrie!!

Glad I could be of help. I keep meaning to do these recipes as single posts, and then tag them appropriately, but I keep forgetting to do that. :)

Susan

Alyssa said...

Hi, about the salmon patties, I was wondering what size can you meant to use. I have seen a 7.5 oz can and a 14.75 ounce can. which one? or is there a different size you use too?

Unknown said...

Hi Alyssa,

I use the 7 oz cans.

Susan :)

Izzy said...

I'm not on SCD but on GAPS which is essentially the same(give or take), so glad I found your site. I'm celiac too, been gluten-free for years but decided to do GAPS.

For the ones that uses eggs, do you think duck egg will work? I'm trying to rotate between chicken and duck eggs. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

If you wrote a book, i would have bought it. So much more readable and tastier than the 'general' SCD crap which usually makes you feel like you can't eat anything ever again. Thanks for having such a site and maintaining it so well, please keep up the good work :)
- Ronnie, Netherlands.

Laurie said...

My husband and I just made the carrot pancakes as well as the sausage (the fancy recipe in the separate post). Both were AMAZING!!! Thank you so much... I am just starting stage 1, and I was feeling so deprived after the intro diet. Your recipes made all the difference! I can't wait to try some of the others.

Unknown said...

Hi Laurie!

I'm so glad you're enjoying the recipes. I have more to share, and I hope to post at least one of them soon! :)

Susan

Laurie said...

Awesome, Susan! FYI, in our infinite laziness, my husband and discovered you can also microwave the carrot pancakes. They come out with more of a biscuit consistency, but they are still delicious, you have to worry less about how dry the carrots are, and you avoid the oil (and the hassle of cleaning a pan). Just put them on a piece of parchment paper on a plate, microwave for about a minute and fifteen seconds, and they are done!

radhika said...

Hi I am doing SCD for my son and he is allergic to EGGS. I liked all your recipes but cannot use EGGS. Can we use EGG replacers If so can you tell what replacers I can use...
Thank You, Radhika

Unknown said...

Hi Radhika,

This is the SCD legal egg replacer from the Pecanbread site:

EGG REPLACER (from PECANBREAD)

1 1/2 TBL water
1 1/2 TBL oil
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vinegar (I did not use this for the brownies)

Good luck!

Anonymous said...

can you make the muffins with zucchini if you press it out enough? I cant eat carrots or banas for 2 weeks and i planned on taking the muffins camping

Anonymous said...

What kind of fruit can I use to make the muffins

Unknown said...

Use the stages from the pecanbread web site to find fruits and veggies you might be able to try. :)