Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cognitive leap!

Yesterday, my darling six-year-old son did something he's never done before.

I've talked before about how his autism has been much improved since starting the SCD diet), and at this point, I feel he really doesn't have much in the way of cognitive delays. All of his delays now are behavioral with some very very mild speech delays. But he's starting to catch up on the behavior side, even though he does have a long way to go in some respects.

The day didn't start off well. My son had not been well behaved at school. In fact, he was sent to the principal's office not once, but twice.

He was soundly punished upon his arrival home, with much time sitting in bed and no games, toys, or books.

During dinner, he started acting up again. My husband pointed out that he was going to end up back in bed at the rate he was going. I chimed in to tell Clark that I agreed.

Clark got very angry. He then turned to me and said, "SHUT UP, YOU JERK!"

I was completely stunned. Jeffrey wasted no time in sending our darling child to bed again. I giggled in spite of myself.

He used an insult appropriately! Isn't that cool?!

Parents of autistic kids get excited about some weird stuff.

1 comment:

Caitlin said...

Now that's what I call a good news/ bad news kind of happenstance!