Wednesday, January 18, 2012

More cheese!

Trader Joe's has started carrying a sliced goat cheese. Or they've carried it for a while, and I never saw it before. Whatever, it's SCD legal!!

It does have egg in it for some reason, so if you're not able to have egg, then you'll have to stay away.

Ingredients: Pasteurized goat's milk, salt, starter culture (does not specify if cow dairy starter or not so if you are sensitive, please use common sense), microbial rennet, lysozome (enzyme from egg white).

ETA: Reader Natalie asked me a few more questions as to how I can be sure this cheese is legal. Here's what I told her:

The key is in the starter culture and in the carb count.

The back of the cheese package lists 0 grams of carbohydrates per serving and the ingredients list rennet and starter cultures. Both are used in aged cheeses (even if they aren't aged for a very long time -- the goat cheddar I use is only aged about three months). Unaged illegal cheeses are very soft and don't really hold a shape when sliced -- like ricotta or mozzarella.

This packaged cheese is a firm cheese that is sliced. This is another clue that tells you it is an aged cheese.

Since this is packaged as "Dutch" cheese it is likely a type of gouda or edam. Both are legal.

Hope that helps!

Susan :)

5 comments:

Againstallgrain.com said...

Hi Susan! Just wanted to let you know that I gave your blog a Liebster Award! Here's the link on how to accept. Hope you and your daughter are off to healthy 2012!

http://www.againstallgrain.com/2012/01/09/i-got-a-liebster-award-whats-a-liebster/

Anonymous said...

Hey just a quick question........why isn't trader joes. Yogurt cheese legal?
Thanks for the goat cheese News.......is it casein free? My son is GFCF......I'm newly scd, still waitin for my book in the mail, but doing it for a week now.

Unknown said...

Hi,

I'm not sure if the yogurt cheese is made with goat milk. Since my son and I follow the Pecanbread protocol, we are cow dairy free. If it is made with goat milk, it is likely legal.

Casein is found in all dairy. If your son is GFCF you are probably avoiding cow casein. Goat casein is much easier to digest, so it is legal on SCD.

I hope that helps!

Kir said...

I LOVE TJ's goat cheese slices. I just starting going paleo/SCD due to SIBO issues and overall horrible health and have really been dreading it. So grateful that this is ok to eat. BTW, have you used their applewood smoked, nitrate-free bacon? I keep reading conflicting info about whether bacon is ok or not. It's soooo good! SCD site lists bacon as ok, but it has sugar in it. Thoughts? I have had to give up eggs, due to testing highly sensitive to them, so that leaves just about bacon for breakfast along with my goat cheese. I know there is egg white enzymes in the cheese, but I am hoping it is not enough to be affecting me. Thanks.

Unknown said...

Hi Kir,

Everyone is different so it's hard to say if the egg white would affect you or not. Keep in mind that you may become less allergic to them the longer you are on SCD.

Also, I have found that low sodium bacon is often sugar free. The bacon I buy at Costco is low salt but when you read the package it also says no sugar added. :)

Take care!

Susan :)